Thursday 11 June 2009

Week 1 of 'Real' Body By Science Workout - Ouch!

Location: Woodcock Sports Centre, Aston University
Date: 10th June

First proper week on the BBS Big 5:



Week 1
ExerciseEstimated LbsLbsTUL
Seated Row60803:08
Chest Press50901:28
Pulldown901102:26
Overhead Press4080, 700:35, 0:25
Leg Press1502002:57

TUL = Time Under Load

Post Workout Nutrition
: this, 45 minutes later.

The Estimated Lbs were the weights I guessed at on Monday. As you can see I was quite wide of the mark in most cases - once I started each set it became obvious I had misjudged how long it's possible to continue a set for for a given weight, so I quickly adjusted the weight upwards.

Even with these adjustments, the only one I got absolutely right was Chest Press. I messed up with Overhead Press by going to failure on a weight that was way too heavy, so doing it again with a lighter weight that was still too heavy. I think I will go for about 60lbs next time.

Three key lessons from the session:

1. Getting the right weight: it will take a few sessions to settle on the right weight and be in a position to gauge real progress.

2. The machines do matter: Doug McGuff talks about Nautilus machines being the best for this because the resistance they produce changes at different points in the muscle contraction to make it a smooth movement and preventing the typical sticking points from hampering progress. I was acutely aware on Leg Press and Overhead Press of these sticking points, so it is clear that the Cybex machines at my current gym are sub optimal.

3. It hurts! I had forgotten how painful going to failure can be. Once I am used to the intensity again, no doubt it will become like a friend.

Funny how things can see-saw - when I first started training it was machines. Then it had to be free weights and it was all about going to failure during absurd bodybuilding routines. Then I was determined to avoid failure and stick to bodyweight routines without failure. Now I am back on the machines, going to failure. The truth is out there...

9 comments:

Jedidja said...

I think in the end everyone should do what gives them results. Looking forward to seeing what BBS does for you :)

(Personally I'm trying out a MH workout for the next 4 weeks - http://newlyplanted.blogspot.com/2009/06/4-week-flex-plan.html - there is a link to the entire workout at the end of the post)

Methuselah said...

Jedidga - I like that concept of number of reps, not sets. Reminds me of how the 300 workout ends up being. I end up with sets of 1 for that!

Bryce said...

Don't feel too fickle for moving back and forth between training protocols. I have tried many protocols, and even though every few months it seems I'm doing something new, I've taken and learned from every method I've tried, and I'm in better shape now than I was before I started training seriously.

I'm sure the same can be said about yourself. Some of us are just programmed to constantly tweak our training in search of the bet plan. The truth IS out there!

Methuselah said...

Thanks Bryce - I completely agree - definately a journey to greater knowledge rather than blind flip-flopping. The same could be said of diet - when I went Paleo people just sighed and said "ah, so now this is your latest thing" - but I had to explain that it's the culmination of a research journey, not a flavour of the month.

Bryce said...

exactly! The culmination of a journey is quite the way I put it to my wife, who loves to tease me for seem capricious about diet/exercise.

I just respond: "Would you prefer me as happy in my body building and jogging routine, but 40lbs over weight, as I was? Or do you prefer the capricious but 8-10% body fat version of me."

That usually ends the discussion.

Methuselah said...

I may use that ;-)

Alexandra said...

I'll start my more machine oriented BBS this weekend. I have been doing a little stuff in between to keep the "goove greased" as they say (some pullups and pushups in the AM or PM, just one set, to remember that I can :).

Interested to see how we both come out on this workout!!

Jedidja said...

My copy of the book (BBS) just arrived today! Looking forward to reading it when I squeeze in time between all the chores :)

Methuselah said...

Jedidja - the good thing is that you only need to get past the first 3 - 4 chapters to get started, then you can read on as you start the program...