Sunday 1 August 2010

Birmingham to Warwick Cycle Ride

Location: The West Midlands, UK
Day: Saturday
Duration: 5 Hours
Workout: Cycling from Birmingham to Warwick on the canals (29 miles)
Food: two pork chops, an hour later, then later, leftover chicken with veg:


Mrs M started to complain a little towards the end of this marathon session on the bikes. 29 miles does not sound like much but there is a lot of gate navigation, bike-carrying, tunnel dodging and rough terrain to contend with.

I had no breakfast, and had broken a fast the night before with a relatively modest chicken dinner, so by the time I got to our destination I was ready to destroy the two pork chops I had taken along to the BBQ. I was so ravenous, I forgot a photo. Needless to say, we took up the offer of a lift back in the truck of some friends.

Here's the GPS map:


...and here's the altitude - the light blue area.


As you can see, there was a general downhill trend. We went through a lot of locks. Birmingham sits on a plateau that's unusually high above sea level. I am glad it wasn't the other way round - those free-wheeling sections were a lot of fun but looked tedious in reverse.

0 comments: