Thursday 1 January 2009

Upper Body Alternating Sprints

15 Press Ups
50 yard sprint
20 Seated Knee Raises
50 yard sprint
20 Bent Over Row (with dumbbells)
50 yard sprint
20 Standing Dumbbell Shoulder Press
50 yard sprint
20 Dumbbell Hammer Curls
50 yard sprint

I created this circuit because I wanted to do sprint intervals, but also wanted a way to simultaneously challenge my cardiovascular fitness. I find that my legs become fatigued before my cardiovascular system has been really pushed if I focus solely on sprinting.

I pick a single set of light dumbbells - usually 6kg - and use it for all the upper body movements. At this weight, it is fine to do the bent over rows with dumbbells, I find. I like to do all the exercises and the sprinting at maximum effort - as if each one were a tabata interval. The idea is to combine a variety of movements into a sequence of intense but brief efforts, punctuated by pauses as you move into place for the next exercise or sprint. One round usually takes me 2 - 3 minutes.

0 comments: