Thursday 1 January 2009

Esporta, Wimbledon, London

Submitted By: Methuselah
Location: 21 - 33 Worple Road, Wimbledon, London, SW19 4JS (map)
Website: http://www.esporta.com/wimbledon/facilities.asp
Workouts: from workout diary

I didn't get a chance to take a photos, or do a full tour - but I'll tell you what I know.

The weights room is well equipped:

Two Olympic bars, one on a squat rack, another on a normal bench. A decent set of discs ranging up to 20kg accompany these. There is a large rack of dumbbells, which go heavier than most of us will ever need to go. There is also a heavy-duty smith machine. They describe this as 'The biggest free weights area in Wimbledon!' on the website - and I can believe it. You won't be blown away - it's not in the same league as a Gold's gym - but for a multi-purpose leisure facility like this, it's pretty good.

There is also a selection of weights machines, including three - yes, three - different types of pulling machines, each of which have a different type of handles above, for doing pull ups. Maddeningly, there was still nowhere to do normal chins. I realised afterwards I could have used the smith machine by putting the bar at the top setting.

Unfortunately, like the Roosevelt Hotel gym in New York, Esporta Wimbledon failed the dumbbell snatch test. When I did these, the dumbbell bumped into the polystyrene roof tiles. I still did them, and no doubt the supervisors later puzzled over the dust and other material that had collected where I had stood.

There is the usual variety of cardio machines, including a set of decent rowing machines.

Elsewhere, there was a studio for circuits, a room full of static bikes and a pool.

No idea what the membership fee is, but they charged me £10 (about $15) for a day pass. Being in London I expect it's not cheap - I would guess in the region of £70 ($100 ish) per month.

Overall, a high quality place and not too busy between 6 and 7, which would be perfect for me if I lived nearby.

0 comments: