Monday 2 March 2009

Heavy Weights then Sprints...and the Knee Goes Again!

Weighted Chin-Ups - 2 x 8 then 1 x 7 @ 12.5kg
Stiff-Legged Deadlift - 1 x 3 @ 120kg then 2 x 8 @ 110kg
Dumbbell Bench Press - 2 x 10 then 1 x 8 @ 26kg

Location: Woodcock Sports Centre

Finisher: 5 x : Sprint 2 lengths of the studio (~40 metres) then 20 x seated knee raises. No rest.

I wanted to throw around some heavier weights this week, having done a light week last week of mainly bodyweight exercises. My knee was almost healed and responded well to the sprinting. Then, afterwards, I decided to do some stretching. I was in two minds, since there has been a lot of research recently suggesting its advantages have been overstated. Nevertheless, I felt a bit of stretching on the legs would be a good idea, to help the knee.

You could count on one hand the number of injuries I have had in the last 10 years that were bad enough to be worth mentioning. In almost every case it was stretching that was the cause; and so it was in this case. By not releasing my foot gently enough from a standing quad-stretch, I popped my medial collateral ligament across the knee-cap again and spend an agonising few seconds persuading it back. So I have slid back down the big snake to the bottom corner of the board and will need to spend another week carfeully nursing this back to health. I am not happy.

0 comments: