Tuesday 14 September 2010

Restraint on Chest and Shoulders

Location: Woodcock Sports Centre, Aston University
Day: 6.55am - Tuesday - 14th September

3 x 5 Dumbbell Chest Press @30kg
3 x 10 Upright Rows with barbell (EZ bar, wider grip) 1@25kg, 2@30kg)
3 x 20 Ab Crunches (with a 2-second squeeze)
3 x 5 Dumbbell Shoulder Press (1@18kg, 2@20kg)
10 Push Ups

Performed in the traditional way - my partner, then me. Not much rest other than waiting our turn.

5 minutes of mobility work.

Total Time: 30 minutes

Nutrition (higher carb, lower fat on workout day, based on my Leangains experiment):

20 minutes before: 10g BCAA
1 hour after: 10g BCAA
3 hours after: 10g BCAA

Lunch (12:15pm) - 2 tins of sardines, a sweet potato, beetroot, tomato, spinach, lemon juice (+ a banana to finish)


Dinner (7:30) - carrot/onion/lamb soup + cod, herring, sweet potato, broccoli, carrot, parsley, lemon.

Today I exercised restraint - fewer sets, manageable weights. As I mentioned a few posts ago, I would like to see whether I make better progress when I alternate easy and hard weeks for a given exercise.

Last week I nailed chest, shoulders and chins, but did not do deads. So this week it's easy chest, shoulders and chins and I will crucify the deads.

Last week I also mentioned that I wanted to make the 30kg dumbbells my 'bitches' before moving to 32's. Today, for the 3 sets at least, that's how they felt.

Also being tested - a wider grip on the upright row, since this employs less bicep. I was suspicious that over-zealous close-grip upright row on Tuesdays might be sabotaging chins on Thursdays.

After dinner, I had a mini-gorge on nuts, coconut cream and pumpkin seeds. Not the end of the world. I am fasting all day tomorrow anyway.

2 comments:

Lightning said...

Gorge on nuts ! Slippery slope dude.
I am having slight post race blues after the Peris but am going to try and keep on it.
Checked the calender. Next race Arenig. Then it's all about Langdale

Methuselah said...

I think I'll make Langdale my next one. Don't want to push my luck after doing to monsters on consecutive weekends....