Wednesday 13 January 2010

First Post-Knee-Op Cardio: Rowing Machine Tabata

Location: Woodcock Sports Centre, Aston University
Date: 12th January

Workout: Tabata Intervals on the Rowing Machine - at about 90%.

Total Time: 5 minutes (including 1 minute warm up)

Post Workout Nutrition: this, 20 minutes later.


This is the first proper intense cardio I have done since the knee op. I was able to operate at high intensity provided I did not flex my knees too much beyond 90 degrees. Since then the knee has been fine.

But the general discomfort during the session was significant - I got that pain in the throat and windpipe I recall from school when I was made to exercise intensely, outdoors, when I was not fit. It took a few hours before that went away. That said, I had definitely not lost all my fitness - there's no way I would have got to the 8th interval if I had.

I believe I have the BBS sessions to thank for the maintenance of some fitness - but it will take a few tabatas before I am back in the groove.

0 comments: