Wednesday 3 March 2010

New Warm Up, Pistols and Dreaded Rowing Tabata

Location: Woodcock Sports Centre, Aston University
Date: 2nd February

Warm up: selected movements from this video.

Workout

- 5 x pistols on each leg, alternately.
- Tabata Intervals on the Rowing Machine - at about 95% effort.

Total Time: 15 minutes

Post Workout Nutrition: Paleo breakfast of champions with blueberries (recipe), 1 hour later.

I am fast becoming a big fan of the movements in the warm up video. It combines stretching with warming up - which is clearly a time saver; it also feels like a more natural approach. Thanks to Chris from Conditioning Research for this.

The pistols are the first proper pistols I have done since the knee op. I was surprised to be able to get down almost to horizontal even on the remedial knee. This marks a turning point and I am looking forward to progressing pistols again.

The Tabata rowing was, as ever, savage. 95% effort, on the wild animal scale is fleeing a tiger that's 30 yards behind, as opposed to 100% where it's got hold of your underwear in its teeth. It's the difference between being just about able to speak to you training partner at the end versus holding one finger in the air for 30 seconds to indicate he must wait.

3 comments:

Asclepius said...

"It's the difference between being just about able to speak to you training partner at the end versus holding one finger in the air for 30 seconds to indicate he must wait."

Classic!

Why do you only go to parallel with the pistols? Is it due to rehab?

Methuselah said...

Asclepius - I only go to parallel because it's too hard to go lower! I do recall starting to go a little lower on my stronger leg when I was really getting into them and plan to progess in that direction again soon...

Asclepius said...

"I only go to parallel because it's too hard to go lower!"

This kind of clears up why I use wimpy assistance weights on my pistols!

:)