Thursday 1 January 2009

The '300' Workout

Full Version
25 Pull Ups
50 Deadlifts @ 60kg
50 Press Ups
50 Box Jumps (24” box)
50 Floor Wipers @ 60kg - each rep is requires left and right movement, so amounts to 2!
50 Clean and Press with Dumbbell @ 16kg (dumbbell must touch floor between reps)
25 Pull Ups
Cheat Version
25 Chin Ups
50 Deadlifts @ 60kg
50 Press Ups
50 Box Jumps (18” box)
50 Floor Wipers @ 60kg - each time you bring your legs up, this counts as one rep
50 Clean and Press with Dumbbell @ 16kg (dumbbell must touch floor between reps)
25 Chin Ups

300
Workouts: from workout diary

N.B. As of 22.04.09 I am doing Dumbell Snatch with 16kg instead of the clean and press - I am finding the clean and press just too hard after all the other exercises that hit the triceps.

This is one of the most punishing circuits I have done. It was designed by Gym Jones as a test for the cast and crew of the film '300'. For the background and detail, see this article on their website.

You simply have to complete the required reps in the required order as quickly as possible, moving from exercise to exercise immediately. If you have to take breaks because you cannot complete all 50 in one go, then these must be as short as possible.

There are no rests in this circuit. The idea is that it is a test, not a regular workout. I think it's way too demanding to be done regularly. I like to use it as an index of progress. Every month or so, I throw one in - each time, trying to reduce the number of breaks I need, and therefore reducing the overall time. The great thing about it is the emphasis on body weight. You are rewarded both for building strength and improving body composition.

I have only ever done the cheat version - my main weakness is pull-ups. I am happy with the 24" box jumps but our gym does not have that easily available. I have some ideas on how to improvise.

0 comments: